HISTORIC HOMES OF BEAUFORT
The Baptist Church Of Beaufort
600 Charles Street, Beaufort
Built in the classic Greek Revival style, the church was constructed in 1844 and used as a Union Army hospital during the Civil War.
Beaufort Arsenal Museum
713 Craven Street, Beaufort
Built in 1795 and rebuilt in 1852, the museum once housed the Beaufort Volunteer Artillery, the fifth oldest military unit in America. It now features a fossil collection, early American artifacts, Civil War relics and plantation handicrafts.
The Bemers Barnwell Sams House No. 2
201 Laurens Street, Beaufort
The Greek Revival, built in 1852 on Black's Point of plantation made brick. The house was used as a hospital during the .Civil War. Later it served as St. Helena's rectory.
Brick Baptist Church
St. Helena Island
Built in 1855 by Baptist planters. During Reconstruction, it was used as a church, meeting hall, school and a community center for freed slaves and Northern abolitionists. It is now part of the Penn Center National Historic Landmark District.
315 Federal Street, Beaufort
Built in the 1800s. During the great storm of l893, boatloads of refugees from the islands were unloaded on the front porch, the highest point in the area. In 1898 it was restored.
The Chapel Of Ease
Land's End Road, St. Helena Island
Built between 1742 and 1747 for planters on the island. A forest fire destroyed part of the brick-and-tabby structure in 1886. Its ruins and a small cemetery remain.
Charles Edward Leverett House
1301 Bay Street, Beaufort Construction of this house has often been cited as having occurred prior to the preRevolutionary, as has the story that it was moved to Bay Street from St. Helena Island around 1850.
Church Of The Cross
Calhoun Street, Bluffton
A Carpenter Gothic-styled antebellum Episcopal church on the May River.
52 Boundary Street, Bluffton Built in 1840, the ColeHeyward House was later restored and is now managed by the Bluffton Historical Preservation Society.
The Daniel Hingston Bythewood House
711 Prince Street, Beaufort
Built around 1792 by a British merchant and sea captain.
701 Greene Street, Beaufort
Built in 1785. During the Reconstruction, the house became known as "The Mission" and was occupied by Mrs. Rachel C. Mather and
the Baptist missionaries who built Mather School for the furtherance of Negro education and who were active in the Freedmen's Aid Society.
E. A. Scheper House
1411 Bay Street, Beaufort Originally built in 1896, the house was bought and almost completely rebuilt in 1938, transforming the exterior style from Victorian to neo-Colonial.
Edgar Fripp House ''Tidalholmll"
1 Laurens Street, Beaufort
This large Italianate style home was built in 1853. During the Civil War the house served as a Union hospital. Later it was used as a guest house. In 1974 it was restored as a private residence.
Edward Means House
604 Pinckney Street, Beaufort Construction on this brick mansion began in 1855. The house was finished in 1857. It was used as a Union hospital during the Civil War.
The Elizabeth Hen House-"Riverviewll
207 Hancock Street, Beaufort
Built in 1720, the Hext House is considered to be one of the oldest houses in Beaufort.
Emil E. Lengnick House
1411 North Street, Beallfort
This house, in Queen Anne vernacular style, was built between 1905 and 1912.
The F. W; Sanders House
411 King Street, Beaufort Replacing a cottage that burned in the fire of 1907, the present two story house was built in 1910.
First African Baptist Church
601 New Street, Beaufort
This historic church was built in 1865 by freed slaves and given to other freed slaves.
Frederick Fraser House
901 Prince Street, Beaufort
Built in the early 1800s, the house is of brick, eighteen inches thick and covered with stucco scored to simulate masonry blocks.
George Elliott House
1001 Bay Street, Beaufort
Built about 1840, this house was once operated by the Historic Beaufort Foundation as a house museum and later sold and reused as offices.
George Mosse Stoney House
500 Port Republic Street, Beaufort
Built around 1823, the house was either reconstructed or underwent major rebuilding around 1840, suggested by the Greek Revival motifs.
Hunting Island Lighthouse
2555 Sea Isla1ld Parkway, Hunting Island
Constructed in 1875 to replace the brick lighthouse destroyed during the Civil War, this 132foot lighthouse remained in operation until 1933. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is the only lighthouse in South Carolina that is open to the public.
John A. Cuthbert House
1203 Bay Street, Beaufort
Built around 1810, the house later underwent significant remodeling.
John Archibald Johnson House
804 Pinckney Street, Beaufort
Built in the 1850s, this house was used as part of a Union hospital during the Civil War.
John Conant House/The Bellamy Inn
11 06 Carteret Street, Beaufort
This post-bellum house was built in 1880. In 1925 it was converted into a nine-room tourist inn. Later it was completely restored and served as an antique shop and offices. It is now owned by the Beaufort Chamber of Commerce and used as offices and a visitors' center.
John Joyner Smith House
400 Wilmington Street, Beaufort
Originally built in the Federal style around 1813 for a Beaufort plantation owner, this house was entered from its Bay Street facade. A Greek Revival era remodeling relocated the entrance to its present location along Wilmington Street. During the Civil War, the Federal Military Commander and his staff occupied the house.
James Robert Verdier House-"Marshlands"
501 Pinckney Street, Beaufort
Built in 1814. Provides a blend of Barbadian plantation architecture with the more formal Adam features of the Federal period.
John Mark Verdier House
801 Bay Street, Beaufort
The Federal-style Verdier House was built around 1801 by a wealthy merchant and planter. Later, it served as a Civil War post headquarters.
Joseph Johnson House ''The Castle"
411 Craven Street, Beaufort
Built in 1861, this Italian Renaissance style house, one of the most photographed in America, occupies a full city block.
The Lewis Reeve Sams House
601 Bay Street, Beaufort
Built in 1852. During the Union occupation, the house was used as a hospital. It survived the great fire ofl907 by the efforts of the Waterhouse cotton gin workers, who formed a bucket brigade and used wet blankets to beat out the flames.
401 King Street, Beaufort
The construction date most often cited for the house is 1856, however unconfirmed sources suggest it may have been standing in 1823. The name "Little Taj" appears
to be a modern association referring to the reflection of the house in the pool across the road.
Lucius Cuthbert House
915 Port Republic Street, Beallfort Constructed in 1820, the Federal Army used this house for a bakery during the occupation of Beaufort.
Milton Maxey House -"Secession House"
1113 CravC1l Street, Beaufort
The house's foundation represents the base of an earlier house that was reportedly constructed in 1743. Around
1800 and later in 1861, the house underwent changes. It was used by the Union Army for headquarters of General Rufus Saxton, lodging of officers, a hospital, and for the office of Paymaster.
310 Federal Street, Beaufort
Constructed post Civil War, this house was used as a hospital during the War Between the States. In the 1890s a large part of it was destroyed by fire. The present house was built on the original tabby foundation.
Old Sheldon Church Ruins (Prince William's Parish Church)
Highways 21 & 235, near Gardens Comer
Burned by British troops in J.779, Sheldon Church has lain in ruins for the last 120 years. It is still used as a religious center for special observances.
Wharf Street, Bluffton
The only shucking and canning oyster house still in business on the east coast.
Parris Island Museum
Building 111 Panama Street, War Memorial Building, Parris Island
Traces military history and island settlements from the 1500s.
Paul Hamilton House -''The Oaks"
100 Laurens Street, Beaufort
This Italianate style house was built in 1855. When Beaufort was occupied by Federal soldiers during the war, the house was used as a Union hospital.
Penn Center/York W. Bailey Museum
16 Penn Center Circle W, St. Helena Island
Home of the Penn School, the first school established for freed slaves in the U.S. and the only one listed on the National Register of the Department
of the Interior, Penn Center includes a specialty museum featuring farm and blacksmith tools from the Penn School days.
Red Piano Too
St. Helena Corners
Houses a large collection of local and national contemporary and primitive art as well as other American treasures.
Robert Means House
1207 Bay Street, Beaufort
Built around 1800.
Tabernacle Baptist Church
907 Craven Street, Beaufort
Built in the 1800s, this church includes a lecture room and meeting house. The gravesite and commemorative bust of Robert Smalls, a former slave and the first African-American U.S. congressman from South Carolina, are located in the church's cemetery.
313 Hancock Street, Beaufort
This house was built in the late eighteenth century. In 1862 it was part of a Union hospital.
Thomas Fuller House” Tabby Manse"
1211 Bay Street, Beaufort
Built in 1786 and considered to be one of the finest early houses in Beaufort. The Fuller
In the early 1800s the house was used as a private school for boys. Later it served as a meeting place for local Masons. During World War II it was converted into apartments. Then in the 19505 this Colonial two-story cottage was restored to a single family home.
Thomas Rhett House
1009 Craven Street, Beaufort
Built around 1820, this house was occupied by Thomas Rhett and his wife prior to the Civil War. It is now a bed and breakfast inn.
W; J. Jenkins House
901 Craven Street, Beaufort Constructed circa 1845. During the Civil War it was occupied by Union troops and later became a hotel or boarding house known as the Saxton House. Today it is privately owned.
The Wallace House
611 Bay Street, Beaufort
The present house was built in 1907 following the "great fire of 1907" and has Victorian millwork typical of the period.
William Elliott House ''The Anchorage"
11 03 Bay Street, Beaufort
Built around 1800. During the occupation of Beaufort the house was used as a hospital and designated as the Mission House. In the early 1900s it was remodeled and later used as a guest house.
William Fickling House
11 09 Craven Street, Beaufort
Built in the late 18th century, this house is now the Rectory of St. Helena Episcopal Church.
William Fripp House ''Tidewater''
302 Federal Street, Beaufort
Built around 1830, this house is attributed to one of the area's wealthiest nineteenth century planters.
William Joseph Thomas House
607 Bay Street, Beaufort
Originally an old tabby house, then replaced by a clapboard dwelling which burned in the fire of 1907. The present Victorian house was built in 1909 of concrete stone blocks.
William Ritchie House
1307 Bay Street, Beaufort
A Victorian house built around 1883 by a foot soldier from Connecticut who came to Beaufort with the Northern Army and chose to remain.
The William Waterhouse House
212 New Street, Beaufort
Built in 1907, a typical late -Victorian style house is now used as ~ bed and breakfast.
William Wigg Barnwell House
501 King Street, Beaufort
Built in 1816, this house was moved from its original location at the Southwest corner of Prince and Scott Streets to its present site. During the Civil War it served as a Union hospital. It later served as a school and as an apartment house.
Helena's Episcopal Church
507 Newcastle Street, Beaufort
Construction on this brick-and-stucco church began in 1724 after the establishment of St. Helena Parish in 1712. It was then rebuilt in 1817. During the Civil War, it was used as a Union Army hospital.
House is a prime example of the use of tabby, an early local building material composed of oyster shells and lime mortar.
Thomas Heyworth House
214 New Street, Beaufort
Built between 1717 and 1722 and possibly rebuilt around 1760, this house has long been referred to as the oldest house in Beaufort.